Macaroni Vegetable Soup
In Hebron, Indiana, Edna Hoffman created this colorful veggie soup with a hint of cayenne. A nice change of pace from heavy cream soups, this hearty yet healthy combination can be served as a side dish or light meal.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 medium zucchini, julienned
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 medium carrot, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 cup tomato or vegetable juice
- 1/2 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- In a large saucepan, saute the zucchini, onion and carrot in butter until tender. Add broth and tomato juice. Bring to a boil; stir in macaroni and cayenne. Cook for 10 minutes or until macaroni is tender. Stir in beans and corn; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 96 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 325mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
Originally published as Pasta and Vegetable Soup in Quick Cooking March/April 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.