Zucchini Tomato Soup
There's garden-fresh flavor in every spoonful of this easy-to-make soup. I like it for a low-calorie lunch, along with a roll and fruit for dessert. It serves just two, so you don't end up with leftovers. -Nancy Johnson, Laverne, Oklahoma
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 small zucchini, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup spicy hot V8 juice
- 1 small tomato, cut into thin wedges
- Dash each pepper and dried basil
- 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- 1 to 2 tablespoons crumbled cooked bacon, optional
- In a large skillet, saute zucchini and onion in oil until crisp-tender. Sprinkle with salt. Add the V8 juice, tomato, pepper and basil; cook until heated through. Sprinkle with cheese and bacon if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 89 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 545mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Zucchini Tomato Soup in Taste of Home August/September 2003