Spicy Zucchini Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
Makes14-16 servings (4 quarts)
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 3 cans (28 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 2 pounds zucchini, diced
- 2 medium green peppers, diced
- 2 cups thinly sliced celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 cups cooked macaroni
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, brown and crumble sausage; drain. Add tomatoes, broth, zucchini, green peppers, celery, onion and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until vegetables are tender. Add macaroni; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 109 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 449mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 6, 2015
I love this soup! I changed mine up a bit to reduce sodium and calories - substituted the macaroni noodles with garbanzo beans, added a small can of sliced olives, and used reduced sodium vegetables. This is perfect fall soup and has amazing flavor! I have made this many times. Firemen, kid, and friend approved!
Aug 26, 2013
Changed this up a bit to use what I had on hand. First off I substituted the italian sausage with hamburger. I also used fresh tomatoes out of my garden rather than the canned. To make it a little healthier and also because I substituted the macaroni with uncooked brown minute rice which I just added at the end.