Tomato Zucchini Casserole
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 5 small zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- In a bowl, combine the first seven ingredients; set aside. In a large skillet, saute zucchini in 1 tablespoon of butter until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes; drain. Arrange the zucchini in a greased 8-in. square baking dish; sprinkle with half of the cheese mixture. Top with tomatoes and remaining cheese mixture.
- In a saucepan, saute onion in remaining butter until tender; add bread crumbs and toss to combine. Sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 213 calories, 15g fat (10g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 496mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 3, 2016
Everyone just LOVES this recipe. I finally have a use for all my tomatoes and zucchini from my garden! I'm gonna start playing with this and try ricotta cheese or fresh mozzarella to make it more of a veggie lasagna.
Feb 28, 2015
very good dish. I like making this in the summer when I have tomatoes from the garden.
Aug 13, 2014
It was good, but I think it would be better with more of the cheese mixture and more of the bread crumb mixture.
Aug 9, 2013
Very good. Took to a pot luck & it went fast. I used yellow squash & Italian Panko bread crumbs. Delicious!
Aug 16, 2012
Imsauted garlic, onion and zucchini together. Used an Italian mix of cheeses. Used my crumb topping for tomato crumble. So, I guess that you can play with it a bit and it is still good. Zucchini is very mellow.
Jul 20, 2011
This was excellent. I used a shredded Italian cheese mix, and it really had a lot of flavor vs plain mozzarella. Next time I will add the garlic to the onion saute instead of putting it in with the cheese.
Feb 19, 2011
This dish is a hit every time I make it - even with people who thought they wouldn't like it! Love the crumb topping!