Italian Zucchini Casserole
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 3 medium zucchini, sliced (about 6-1/2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups stuffing mix
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, cook zucchini in 1 tablespoon oil 5-6 minutes or until tender; drain and set aside. In the same skillet, saute the onion and garlic in remaining oil for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, basil, oregano, garlic salt and pepper; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat; gently stir in zucchini.
- Place in an greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with stuffing mix; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake, uncovered 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 174 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 576mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 8g protein.
Oct 1, 2019
This was divine! I did add a pound of sausage and I used garden tomatoes instead of the canned diced tomatoes. I also used half zucchini and half summer squash. Everyone had seconds on this dish.
Sep 20, 2019
If one enjoys cooked tomatoes, this is a good recipe.
Aug 12, 2019
This recipe is so good and what a great way to use the zucchini from the garden. The only change that I made was using fresh tomatoes from the garden rather than canned tomatoes. I will definitely make this again.
Jul 29, 2019
I made this recipe, exactly as the directions stated, but added a pound of mild browned sausage and gently turned the dressing into the casserole to moisten the dressing after it had baked for 20 minutes, before I added the mozzarella cheese. It was one of he few casseroles I've made that my hubby and I termed a "keeper," meaning we'll have it again, as it was quite tasty and a bit different. Next time, I'll try adding the mushrooms and perhaps a fourth zucchini.
Jul 25, 2019
This is so good! I added cooked diced chix thighs. I melted 1 cube of butter and mixed in with box of turkey stuffing mix. Put half of the stuffing on the bottom. Sprinkle the rest on top and bake. Wow! What a wonderful dinner...
Jul 29, 2018
Very tasty with -- adding 1 lb of Italian mild sausage and ~ 2-1/2 C chopped up fresh mushrooms. I did not pre-cook zucchini because of personal taste and initially sprinkled dry stuffing mix over the mixture and then when it was not getting "moist" after first 20 minutes; just stirred it all together and continued cooking for ~10 minutes. It was well received and I will definitely made again! Oh, always cooked covered and I always spray the foil with cooking spray to prevent sticking ...
Jul 26, 2018
followed instructions, but got a very bland meal. definitely needs experimentation to make it good.
Aug 29, 2017
I made this recipe using zucchini and yellow squash, 1 tsp Italian seasoning and whole canned tomatoes broken up with my hands. I used Stove Top turkey stuffing, unprepared. This was excellent! The family loved it. Will definitely make again.
Aug 3, 2017
I added Sweet Italian sausage to make this my dinner casserole. The sausage gave it a good flavor.
Jul 29, 2017
wonderful taste....used recipe as stated. Family took seconds and enjoyed the flavor. Will be adding this to my side dishes.