Italian Zucchini Casserole
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 3 medium zucchini, sliced (about 6-1/2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups stuffing mix
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, cook zucchini in 1 tablespoon oil 5-6 minutes or until tender; drain and set aside. In the same skillet, saute the onion and garlic in remaining oil for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, basil, oregano, garlic salt and pepper; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat; gently stir in zucchini.
- Place in an greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with stuffing mix; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake, uncovered 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 174 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 576mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 8g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 29, 2018
Very tasty with -- adding 1 lb of Italian mild sausage and ~ 2-1/2 C chopped up fresh mushrooms. I did not pre-cook zucchini because of personal taste and initially sprinkled dry stuffing mix over the mixture and then when it was not getting "moist" after first 20 minutes; just stirred it all together and continued cooking for ~10 minutes. It was well received and I will definitely made again! Oh, always cooked covered and I always spray the foil with cooking spray to prevent sticking ...
Jul 26, 2018
followed instructions, but got a very bland meal. definitely needs experimentation to make it good.
Aug 29, 2017
I made this recipe using zucchini and yellow squash, 1 tsp Italian seasoning and whole canned tomatoes broken up with my hands. I used Stove Top turkey stuffing, unprepared. This was excellent! The family loved it. Will definitely make again.
Aug 3, 2017
I added Sweet Italian sausage to make this my dinner casserole. The sausage gave it a good flavor.
Jul 29, 2017
wonderful taste....used recipe as stated. Family took seconds and enjoyed the flavor. Will be adding this to my side dishes.
Jul 29, 2017
I was wondering what kind of stuffing mix everyone used? Do you prepare it first?
Jul 28, 2017
Would like to try this but can't seem to print the recipe. How do we do that?
Jul 27, 2017
We love zucchini and the Italian favor was a nice addition to our dinner Thanks for sharing!
Jul 20, 2017
My daughter's favorite zucchini casserole. It tastes even better with fresh herbs & produce!
Aug 1, 2016
This was an awesome recipe. But instead of putting sliced zucchini I used grated zucchini and it was great!