Zucchini Pizza Casserole
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 4 cups shredded unpeeled zucchini
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large Eggland's Best eggs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) Italian tomato sauce
- 1 medium green or sweet red pepper, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place zucchini in colander; sprinkle with salt. Let stand 10 minutes, then squeeze out moisture.
- Combine zucchini with eggs, Parmesan and half of mozzarella and cheddar cheeses. Press into a greased 13x9-in. or 3-qt. baking dish. Bake 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat, crumbling beef, until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add tomato sauce; spoon over zucchini mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheeses; add red pepper. Bake until heated through, about 20 minutes longer.
- Freeze option: Cool baked casserole; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap casserole; reheat on a lower oven rack until heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 315 calories, 20g fat (10g saturated fat), 119mg cholesterol, 855mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 25g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 15, 2019
This was wonderful! My husband and I are both on keto, and this tasted so good! It makes for good leftovers as well. I followed the recipe exactly except for using frozen zucchini (lots of water to squeeze out!) because I didn't have any fresh on hand. I will definitely be making this again when we have a bunch of zucchini fresh from our garden!
Feb 15, 2019
Absolutely Awesome and fit perfectly into my keto diet!! My entire family LOVED this recipe. I used deer-burger vs hamburger as that is what I had on hand -- delicious!!
Nov 18, 2018
Love this thank you made with ground turkey breast yummy and freezes well for lunches
Jul 26, 2018
We loved it. Hubby said it was a definite keeper and was even better the next day. Only changes I made based on some other readers was to make sure the water was squeezed out of the zukes, and I added a can of mushrooms, Italian herbs, and extra mozzarella (because I had it). Can't wait to make it again. Next time am going to add Italian sausage to it. Great recipe.
Jul 22, 2018
Perfect as is. Almost no carbs.
Jul 9, 2018
Made this again with turkey sausage instead of the hamburger. Much tastier, and hubby loved it. So need to up the rating to a 5 instead of a 4. Would definitely have again and again
Jun 28, 2018
Excellent! Was looking for another low carb dish when I found this. I sauteed some chopped mushrooms and added them to the sauce, omitted the pepper cause we don't like it. I used marinara sauce that was low in sugar in place of the tomato sauce. This is very tasty! My hubby suggested next time to use Italian sausage instead of ground beef but I thought it was perfect.
Jun 25, 2018
My husband said this is a keeper. I added some red pepper flakes to the zucchini mixture, Used Prego pizza sauce & added garlic & Italian seasoning to the meat. He is on a low carb diet.
Jun 21, 2018
So versatile! I liked the posted review of the Mexican version as well. For that, I would switch the tomato sauce for enchilada sauce, or thick salsa drained slightly. Cheeses would be all cheddar or chedder/ & cheddar Jack for some spicy kick . Seasoning would be cumin or low sodium taco seasoning in both the meat mixture and in the enchilada sauce. Top with fresh minced cilantro or serve cilantro on the sideSince zucchini is not at peak right now. So I MIGHT sub in " some" frozen & thawed cauliflower rice for "some" of the shredded zucchini.As written, this is a good recipe ...just BE VERY SURE TO squeeze the zucchini VERY well in several paper towels, after draining. Then add in garlic POWDER & some Italian seasoning to meat mixture & crust. I Also like to tightly roll up stacked leaves of fresh basil and cut into thin strips (chiffonade) Then top it on as a generous garnish . No wonder it is a contest winner ! Well Done !
Jun 21, 2018
This is just delicious! I followed the directions exactly. We all loved it!