Zucchini Pizza Casserole
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 4 cups shredded unpeeled zucchini
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) Italian tomato sauce
- 1 medium green or sweet red pepper, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place zucchini in colander; sprinkle with salt. Let stand 10 minutes, then squeeze out moisture.
- Combine zucchini with eggs, Parmesan and half of mozzarella and cheddar cheeses. Press into a greased 13x9-in. or 3-qt. baking dish. Bake 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat, crumbling beef, until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add tomato sauce; spoon over zucchini mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheeses; add red pepper. Bake until heated through, about 20 minutes longer.
- Freeze option: Cool baked casserole; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap casserole; reheat on a lower oven rack until heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 315 calories, 20g fat (10g saturated fat), 119mg cholesterol, 855mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 25g protein.
Dec 29, 2019
This is tasty. I sliced my zucchini very thin instead of shredding it. I mixed it with the eggs, parm cheese, and half the other cheeses but didn't bake it until I added the remaining ingredients as listed.
Oct 17, 2019
A great way to use zucchini! Really good tasting. But our first question was, "Where is the crust?" The casserole baked up nicely and looked good, but we couldn't find a crust! My family said I should add noodles. I might add more flour. I added cut up ham and black olives instead of the hamburger and peppers. Yummy flavor.
Sep 18, 2019
Excellent! Hubby had 3 helpings! The only addition I made was 1 tsp Italian seasoning. Next time I’ll try sausage, garlic
Sep 17, 2019
Lynn's recipe was fantastic! My whole family loved a new dish, which I feel doesn't happen that often :) I forgot the red or green pepper, but it still tasted great. I added a little drizzle of olive oil to the zucchini part just before layering on the meat sauce. Really really delish--and easy.
Sep 17, 2019
This is my favorite pizza recipe. I don't do bread and this smells so pizza awesome, I can't get enough!
Sep 2, 2019
Love this. I 'drain' zucc by spreading out large kitchen towel or two, cover with a couple layers of paper towel, then AFTER I've pushed all the liquid I can out through the colander, I spread the zucc on the towel layers and roll it up - TIGHT. May take a couple times, but it really does the trick and then your crust will be crisper. Also, my grandsons think pepperoni is a food group so we don't use beef or sausage - just spread pizza sauce over crust, put a think layer of pepperoni on this, then your cheeses and veggies. Sometimes bacon with the pepperoni (WHY NOT?!?!) After it's done everyone puts their own toppings on as desired. They love to help make it, too, so are happy to eat it :)
Sep 2, 2019
So easy to adapt to your tastes / groceries on hand. Tonight, I swapped the quantites of cheddar and mozzarella, and added a 2.5oz bag of bacon bits to the meat mixture for "bacon cheeseburger pizza." Hubby took one bite and announced, "it's a keeper." I plan to try a version with Mexi-blend cheese, and taco seasoning in the meat, maybe salsa or taco sauce instead of tomato sauce.
Aug 28, 2019
Delicious! The kids will love it. Healthy
Aug 17, 2019
Great recipe! I use half ground beef and half hot Italian sausage.
Aug 14, 2019
Very good BUT ADD TO YOUR NOTES ,ABOUT CRUST : Z ucchini MUST BE squeezed VERY WELL...using SEVERAL double layers of paper towels, and repeat several times...Even after draining. Then "crust" should be kinda thin ISH BUT EVEN everywhere in pan. Or thicker parts do not crisp up well. THEN be sure to COOL crust completely, so that meat