Zucchini and Cheese Casserole
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + standing
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 6 small zucchini, chopped (about 7 cups)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups crushed Rice Chex
- 1 cup shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add zucchini and onion; cook and stir 10-12 minutes or until crisp-tender. Transfer to a bowl; cool slightly.
- In a microwave, melt remaining butter. Drizzle over cereal and toss to coat.
- Stir cheese, eggs, salt and pepper into zucchini mixture; transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Sprinkle with cereal mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 260 calories, 15g fat (10g saturated fat), 99mg cholesterol, 778mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Oct 6, 2019
We love this!!
Jul 21, 2019
My family loved this. Used Ritz crackers because that's what I had on hand. Great recipe...Thanks
Jul 10, 2019
I make this just as written and love it! Thanks for this recipe and a tasty way to use up all the summer zucchini in a delicious recipe.
Jun 8, 2019
I'm so glad I saw this recipe! I had some zucchinis I needed to use and this fit the bill perfectly. I will definitely make this again.
Jun 8, 2019
Very quick. To reduce the fat a bit, I steam the zucchini and onion until barely tender, and use half yellow squash at times. Drain very well in a colander, then proceed. I use about 1/2 cup of whatever cheese I have on hand, but sharp cheddar is a favorite here. I also put in about 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg and only 1/4 teaspoon salt. I have always used bread crumbs on top, but the Rice Chex with 2 TBSP butter is great! Very crispy after baking!
Mar 7, 2019
This is so good I've made it 3 times in 1 week, I did add 1 tsp. of garlic powder along with the salt. Served this at a potluck yesterday
Jul 26, 2016
I make this and make this and make this during the summer (and it even freezes well enough, if you really drain it and add the topping just before baking). I've made it with many different toppings ... chex or rice krispy are nice for GF folk ... croutons or crackers work in a pinch. I always DRAIN the zucc/onion mixture in a collander before mixing it all together. Today I made it with a mix of odd shaped yellow squash, patty pans and zucc. Always a hit! Thanks for this one!
Jul 20, 2015
This was really good. I did double the cheese to 2 cups. I also added more butter. The topping was delicious. Also, a great gluten free recipe. I might add and extra egg next time. I will make this again and I am giving the recipe to my neighbor.
Oct 16, 2014
Yummy! I'll make this again when zucchini is in season.
Sep 26, 2014
Very good recipe to use zucchini. The crumb topping makes it appealing and tasty. Plan on making it again soon.