Zucchini Egg and Cheese Casserole
Whether I'm preparing a sit-down dinner at home or attending a potluck buffet, family and friends have come to expect my signature vegetable dish.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 5 medium zucchini (about 2 pounds), diced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 4 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 4 cups shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large saucepan, cook zucchini in boiling water until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes; drain. Cool for 10 minutes. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; whisk in milk until smooth. Beat in eggs and chilies. Stir in cheese and zucchini.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Toss bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over zucchini mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 40-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean and edges are lightly browned. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 163 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 83mg cholesterol, 461mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as Cheesy Zucchini Casserole in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.