Zucchini Tomato Casserole
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min. + standing
- 6 medium zucchini, diced (about 6 cups)
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cubed process cheese (Velveeta)
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley or 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, saute zucchini in 2 tablespoons butter until crisp-tender; drain well. In a bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Stir in the zucchini and remaining butter. Transfer to an ungreased 2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 224 calories, 16g fat (9g saturated fat), 90mg cholesterol, 527mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein.
Aug 26, 2019
Very good. I used yellow squash, sweet onion and cheddar jack cheese because that was what I had on hand. I also made 1/2 recipe. I will be making this again.
Aug 24, 2019
I make a very similar recipe, except I slice the veggies. It takes a little longer to bake but I like it the slices better. Very good.
Nov 14, 2018
Can this be done in a slow cooker? If so, how long. I will be putting it in a 9x13 casserole slow cooker. Wanting to make this for Thanksgiving but have very limited room in oven for another baked dish. Thanks for any feedback.
Nov 9, 2018
Really did not care for this. Texture more then anything.
Jun 13, 2017
Loved it! Used a pint of cherry tomatoes instead of 2 medium. I didn't have dried minced onions, so I sauteed 1/2 cup chopped onion. Very delicious!!
Aug 24, 2014
Very tasty The tomato made a nice change to the flavor and color of the zucchini casserole. I sautéed the zucchini with olive oil and pepper and did not add any butter (or oil) to the mixture before baking. I also just cubed the bread instead of using soft crumbs. Will definitely make this recipe again.
Sep 15, 2011
Didn't have Velveeta so I doubled the shredded cheddar. Also, used Panko bread crumbs. They were nice and soft after the dish cooked. Delicious!
Jun 22, 2011
I made this recipe for a special dinner I hosted for widows in our congregation. Everybody loved it! This recipe is excellent and easy to make. (thumbs up) :^)
Dec 12, 2010
We have been making this recipe since it was first published. It is my go-to potluck dish when we are bringing a side dish. I always get lots of recipe requests.
Jul 27, 2010
I used swiss cheese instead of cheddar and home canned tomatoes instead of fresh. It turned out very good and I will make again