Yellow Squash and Zucchini Gratin
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 medium yellow summer squash, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs, divided
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 450°. In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat; add zucchini, yellow squash and shallots. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until zucchini and squash are crisp-tender, 4-6 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute more.
- Add cream; cook until thickened, 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in 1/2 cup bread crumbs and 1/4 cup cheese. Spoon mixture into a greased 11x7-in. or 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining bread crumbs and cheese. Bake until golden brown, 8-10 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 203 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 357mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Jul 23, 2019
The one thing I like about spring/summer season is all the fruits and veggies and such yummy eating! And although I love to take any and all veggies that people grow and give away, I would sometimes cringe and think "oh gosh..more squash!" to try and come up with ways to use it all. Now, mind you, I also like the challenge of coming up with new recipes and ways to use it, but sometime it can be stressful to get to it all and EAT it all before they go bad. I think you can relate. Anyway, after collecting dozens of recipes for squash, whoddathunk that the EASIEST, simplest recipe ever is my all time favorite and will probably be the way I make my squash from now on and forget all the fancy, shmancy recipes?! LOL Here is what I made (with my own tweaks based on what I had) and the peeps RAVED about it: My family said "look no more- THIS is the way to make it EVERY time!" And I agree. Thank you.
Jun 8, 2019
I made a few changes to this recipe. I seeded the squash to cut down on the water content and diced it and added some red and orange bell pepper for color, and before adding the topping, I layered sliced plum tomatoes over the vegetables that I spooned into a casserole. I also used Greek yogurt mixed with enough ½
Feb 11, 2019
Pretty good. I used all zucchini and cut the recipe in half for just 2 of us. Used 2% milk in place of cream and onion in place of shallot. I would make this one again.
Jul 16, 2018
I prepared this with a little less fat by using fat-free half and half rather than cream. It is amazing!! Best squash casserole I've eaten.
Jul 30, 2017
Great recipe. Easy to make, lots of flavor and very creamy. Everyone loved it.
May 28, 2017
Very simple to make but has a lot of taste. I added poblano peppers for a little kick but otherwise stuck to the recipe as it's listed and it came out just great! It's on our go-to list for Spring, we've made it 3x since it was published!
Apr 16, 2017
Served it for guests. Really great! Easy to make and very tasty.