Potato Squash Casserole
Butternut squash teams up with sliced potatoes and flavorful pork sausage in this hearty autumn casserole. The rich, creamy cheese sauce adds to the down-home taste. -Peggy Burdick, Burlington, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 4 small potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound uncooked Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the potatoes, squash and water. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Place half of the mixture in a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Crumble sausage over potato mixture. Top with onion and remaining potato mixture.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and 1/4 cup cream until smooth; stir in remaining cream. Pour over potato mixture. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake for 20-30 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Originally published as Potato Squash Casserole in Taste of Home October/November 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.