Creamy Yellow Squash Casserole
Here’s a simple yet yummy garden recipe my granny used to make. She’d pick her veggies daily, then cook them for dinner. It always tasted so fresh and tender. —Mandy Nall, Montgomery, AL
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 7 cups thinly sliced yellow summer squash (about 5 medium)
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Gouda cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded provolone cheese
- 10 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 20 Ritz crackers, crushed
- 1-1/2 cups coarsely crumbled cornbread
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place 1-1/2 cups broth in a large skillet; bring to a boil. Add squash and onion; cook, covered, 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain well and place in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- In a small bowl, mix chicken soup, sour cream, mayonnaise, celery salt, pepper and remaining 1/4 cup broth. Spread half over top of squash mixture. Sprinkle with cheeses and bacon. Spread remaining chicken soup mixture over top. Sprinkle with cracker crumbs and cornbread; drizzle with butter.
- Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
Test Kitchen tips