Italian Squash Casserole
You can assemble this garlic-kissed veggie dish in advance, but wait to bake it until just before serving. The aroma from the oven will lure everyone in the house to the kitchen.—Paul VanSavage, Binghamton, NY
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 30 min.
Makes14 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 3-1/2 pounds), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 large sweet red peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large red onion, cut into wedges
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves). Cut top off of garlic bulb. Brush with 1/2 teaspoon oil. Wrap bulb in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until softened. Reduce heat to 400°. Cool garlic for 10 minutes. Squeeze softened garlic into a bowl and mash.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute squash in 1 tablespoon oil until golden brown; transfer to a large bowl. In the same skillet, saute peppers and onion in remaining oil until crisp-tender. Add to squash.
- Stir in the tomatoes, garlic, bread crumbs, parsley, rosemary, salt and pepper. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 30-40 minutes or until squash is tender.