Potato and Squash Casserole
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 medium red potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, diced
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Dash salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Place the potatoes in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add squash; cover and simmer 5 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Drain. Place potatoes and squash in a bowl; mash.
- In a small skillet, saute onion in butter. Add to potato mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a greased 2-cup baking dish (dish will be full). Top with cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with bacon.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 312 calories, 19g fat (11g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 462mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 12g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 3, 2014
This is a very nice way to make a change on squash, will make again sprinkling green onion on top.
Oct 25, 2009
This is a great side dish. It is a different take on regular potatoes and a good way to use summer squash from the garden.