Carrot Potato Casserole
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 3 cups grated peeled uncooked potatoes
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 2 tablespoons grated onion
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add 1/2 cup cheese, stirring until melted. Add the potatoes, carrots and onion.
- Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 198 calories, 10g fat (7g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 468mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 8, 2010
Very good. I didn't shred, but chopped the potatoes and carrots into small pieces instead. I also added some celery and added all the cheese to the sauce instead of putting half on top. Baked for 1 1/2 hours.