Squash and Potatoes
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced dill or 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings.
- Add potato; cook and stir in the drippings for about 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir in the onion, zucchini and yellow squash. Cook, uncovered, for about 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Return bacon to skillet; sprinkle with dill, salt and pepper. Cook and stir for about 1 minute longer or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 73 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 300mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Jul 29, 2013
Mmmmm, what's not to like about fried bacon and potatoes! I didn't have zucchini, so I only had the diced yellow (I used crookneck). The dried dill didn't seem to add much flavor, but maybe I didn't use enough. I'm going to use this recipe for the other squash I have!
Apr 21, 2011
Very good. Makes a lot. I used three man-fist-sized Yukon gold potatoes, and the rest as in recipe. Cooked the potatoes a long time up front to get them browned and mealy. The dill was actually not overwhelming, as I was afraid it would be. This basically makes a very nice hash, and is convenient, as it combines the potato and veggies in one side dish! Somewhat picky husband and son both liked.
Aug 27, 2010
This was soooo yummy! I made it easier on myself and I cooked the veggies and potatoes in 2 tbls olive oil (in my frying pan on 300 degrees) and I cooked the bacon in the microwave and cut it up and added it at the very last. I didn't have dill weed and so I used basil instead you can also use parsley or just salt and pepper would be good too! MMMMM and it was a good way to use all the yummy veggies Mom gave me!!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.