Squash Stuffing Casserole
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups sliced yellow summer squash (1/4 inch thick)
- 1 small onion, halved and sliced
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 package (6 ounces) corn bread stuffing mix
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil. Add squash and onion. Reduce heat; cover and cook until squash is crisp-tender, about 6 minutes. Drain well; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the soup, sour cream, stuffing and the contents of seasoning packet, chilies, salt and pepper. Fold in squash mixture.
- Pour into a greased shallow 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 199 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 709mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Jun 19, 2017
Very good! I sauteed the veggies, rather than boiling them and used chicken stuffing because my store didn't have the cornbread version. Great way to use up all those garden veggies!
Jun 19, 2017
Very good, loved the flavor the peppers gave this casserole! I did use chicken stuffing, because the store I stopped at didn't have cornbread stove top.
Jun 18, 2015
Easy to make & a great taste. Didn't have cornbread stuffing mix so I used stove top stuffing mix for chicken. It didn't come with a seasoning packet so I just added a big dash of oregano & thyme. Turned out fine. Definitely a keeper recipe.
Jun 4, 2015
Made this for a potluck to go with fried chicken. It was very tasty and even the ones who don't like squash liked it!
Dec 26, 2013
I made this for Christmas dinner and everyone loved it. It is a little spicy for kids, but you can change the amount of chilies that you put into the dish. Will be making this for all my family gatherings from now on.
Aug 2, 2013
Lots and lots of flavor. Was too spicy for my kids but husband loved it. May try with only 1/2 a can of peppers next time.
May 30, 2012
I used Pepperidge Farm cornbread stuffing, so I didn't have a flavor packet to add. It was fine without it and my family liked it.
Aug 16, 2009
Some stuffing mixes come with a seasoning packet - Zatarain's Cornbread Stuffing Mix is one of them.
Aug 16, 2009
contents of seasoning pack. What seasonings?
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.