Summer Squash Mushroom Casserole
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2 medium yellow summer squash, diced
- 1 large zucchini, diced
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups Kerrygold shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup crushed butter-flavored crackers (about 25 crackers)
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- In a large skillet, saute the summer squash, zucchini, mushrooms and onion in oil until tender; drain.
- In a large bowl, combine the vegetable mixture, cheese, soup, sour cream and salt. Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Combine cracker crumbs and butter. Sprinkle over vegetable mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 234 calories, 16g fat (8g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 564mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Sep 12, 2019
I made this last night to use up some squash from the garden. If you like green bean casserole you would probably like this too. Unfortunately I don't and felt it was a little too "soupy" not in the runny sense but in the sense that the cream of mushroom was too present in the dish. The flavor was good but I don't think I'll ever make this again. It was heavier than I thought it would be and we have a ton of left overs. It was a lot of work and, I felt, a waste of cheese. Since summer squash doesn't freeze well the left overs probably won't be eaten. For the review that said it was too runny: make sure you drain the veggies prior to mixing them into the soup and cheese mixture.
Aug 5, 2017
easy to make and it was the Best ever !! Hubby liked it too ! Make this one
Aug 3, 2017
My husband thought this was the BEST, I loved it too! Highly recommend! Yum!
Jul 10, 2016
Wonderful - the mushrooms add a nice touch.
Oct 8, 2015
Turned out excellent and was a hit with the adults. The kiddos didn't like it (I presume the squash texture was the killer). Still giving a 5 star rating for it WAS THAT GOOD!
Sep 26, 2015
I've been making this recipe WAY before it was printed in taste of home; not sure where I got the original recipe from. A great side dish, sometimes it's a little on the runny side. But good.
Feb 7, 2015
I've made this recipe many times and it's one of my favorites. I passed it along to my daughter and she is also a big fan of it. The only change I make is substituting fat free ingredients where possible. I don't think it effects the taste negatively in anyway. I especially enjoy this casserole as a cold leftover.
Jun 13, 2014
For as good as this looks and sounds, particularly notice carb.count appears to be ***diabetic friendly***. Very6 much enjoy reading others' ideas on this recipe. Particularly like idea of adding sweet red pepper!
Sep 3, 2013
I omitted the mushrooms and added green pepper instead. Will make it again. it was wonderful.
Aug 24, 2013
was looking for a recipe to use up some zucchini and found this..it was a great hit/had it with pork chops on the grill- will be keeping this in my 'FAVORITE file..