Asparagus Onion Casserole
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces or 2 packages (10 ounces each) asparagus cuts, thawed
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 3 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- In a large skillet, saute asparagus and onions in 1 tablespoon of butter until crisp-tender, about 8 minutes. Transfer to an ungreased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- In a large saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat. Add the cream cheese, salt and pepper; stir until cheese is melted. Pour over vegetables. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Melt remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 250 calories, 19g fat (12g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 654mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Nov 29, 2015
I made it for Thanksgiving instead of the green bean casserole. Everyone loved it.
Apr 14, 2014
Very Good. I used lite margarine and cream cheese also. Best with fresh asparagus.
Nov 25, 2013
great but modified by adding more asparagus and less onion ( guess its up to what you like)
Sep 8, 2010
I would give this recipe 10 stars if i could. I loved it!!
May 10, 2010
Made this for Mothers Day. Loved by everyone. A new favorite! I used sweet onions, and only baked until bread crumbs were brown so asparagus remained crisp tender.
Apr 19, 2010
I made this w/ low fat margerine, low fat cream cheese and Panko bread crumbs to liten it up a bit, it was incredible! LOVE IT!!!!
Mar 18, 2010
Wanted to try something new. Love this and now serve if often. The recipe doubles well. Served it to a man who hates asparagus and he went back for seconds!
Sep 19, 2009
After adding 12 oz of cubed smoked ham this became a complete meal with a great smoky flavor. Very good especially after adding some garlic as suggested in the above comment.Instead of using butter with the bread crumbs I used two Tablespoons of olive oil and still had a nice brown crust.Ken
Aug 9, 2009
mmmmm!! i always add some seasoning (salt, pepper, garlic) while the veggies are saute-ing. DELICIOUS dish!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.