Asparagus Pea Medley
Hurried hotesses will appreciate the make-ahead convenience of this casserole. A rich and creamy sauce beautifully coats asparagus and peas. —M. Joalyce Graham, Starke, Florida
Total TimePrep: 20 Min. Bake: 35 min.
- 2 packages (10-1/2 ounces each) frozen cut asparagus
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- 1 jar (8 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 jar (5 ounces) sharp American cheese spread
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- Cook asparagus according to package directions, omitting the salt. Drain, reserving 3/4 cup cooking liquid. Place asparagus in a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Top with peas, mushrooms and pimientos; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk and reserved cooking liquid. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add the cheese spread, salt and pepper; stir until blended. Pour over vegetables. Melt remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over cheese sauce.
- Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Or bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until bubbly. If refrigerated before baking, remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes beforehand.