Asparagus and Wild Rice Casserole
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus, cut into 2-inch pieces and cooked
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 bacon strips, diced and cooked
- In a small saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add flour and salt; stir to make a paste. Add milk; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Cool 1 minute more. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream until smooth.
- In a greased 11x7-in. baking dish, layer wild rice, asparagus, sour cream mixture, cheese and bacon. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 247 calories, 14g fat (9g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 294mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 11g protein.
Jun 2, 2013
I liked the mix of flavors but the thickening took away from it. I think I'll try this again but substitute a cup of cream of mushroom soup for the milk/flour/butter.
Jan 11, 2013
We agreed with Lucajb about sauce needing additional flavor and added some Bavarian seasoning. We were a little short on the asparagus, so added a 4oz (drained) can of sliced mushrooms to compensate. Yup...phenomenal!
Jan 30, 2009
This is phenomenal!!! Big hit! This is so creamy and yummy.I would not substitute the sour cream next time, though. I did not have any, so used the cream cheese instead. It was too bland. I did add a few drops of hot sauce for a little zip.Wonderful recipe!
Dec 4, 2008
We substitute 8 oz cream cheese for the sour cream and top with parmesan cheese instead of the cheddar, It's a hands down Favorite annual venison dinner side dish