Wild Rice and Lentil Salad
This healthy, protein-packed salad is a perfect main dish for the vegetarians who grace your holiday table—or as a side in smaller portions. My family loves it for the flavors, and my friends love it because I offer them a healthy alternative to meat. —Mary Leverette, Columbia, South Carolina
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 package (2-3/4 ounces) quick-cooking wild rice
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 2 cups fresh arugula or baby spinach
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Prepare rice according to package directions. Drain; rinse with cold water. Place lentils in a small saucepan. Add water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until tender, 20-25 minutes. Drain; rinse with cold water.
- In a small bowl, whisk oil, lemon juice, vinegar, garlic and salt until blended. In a large bowl, combine rice, lentils, tomatoes and green onions; drizzle with dressing. Just before serving, stir in arugula and cheese.