Wild Rice and Ham Chowder
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 40 min.
Makes8-10 servings (2-3/4 quarts)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups cooked wild rice
- 2-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a Dutch oven, over medium heat, saute onion in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually add broth. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- Add the potatoes, carrot, bay leaf, thyme and nutmeg; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in the rice, ham, cream and corn; heat through (do not boil). Discard bay leaf. Garnish with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 266 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 1035mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 11g protein.
Mar 6, 2016
Very tasty!!! Yes, making soup involves quite a bit of chopping, but the reward is great! The ingredients in this soup blend nicely and end up with a super flavor - I don't understand how some people say there isn't any! Can't wait to have some after it's had some time in the frig. I did add celery, but that it the only change I made. Truly enjoyed!!
Feb 14, 2016
I made this recipe exactly as written and was very disappointed. A lot of work and unfortunately not much flavor. My daughter and I are hoping it will be more flavorful tomorrow after the ingredients have more time to blend? Nevertheless, I don't think I'll be making this one again!
Nov 2, 2015
Wow! Delicious! Whole family loved it and has already requested it be made often!
Jan 14, 2015
So tasty! I ended up substituting the the ham for chicken, added celery, and forgot to add the cream oops. In our house we like cayenne pepper so I seasoned the chicken with that. I will definitely be making this again.
Dec 31, 2014
Very good! Great way to use leftover ham from Christmas!
Dec 30, 2014
Wow this was so good. Never had a ham soup before. I substituted savory for the thyme because I didn't have any on hand and I used frozen corn rather than canned. Had to use evaporated milk in place of the half n half since I didn't have that either, but even with all the changes, the soup was amazing!
Apr 26, 2014
Could this soup be frozen and then thawed out for later use?
Mar 25, 2014
Delicious! I had to use evaporated milk for the half & half, but the soup was still fabulous!
Feb 23, 2013
I have been making this soup for years and it is truly our favorite. I sometimes make it for church suppers and everyone loves it. Sometimes I use dried onions or shredded carrots, just depends on how busy I am. But this soup is just the best ever!
Jan 31, 2012
This is some of the best soup I have ever made. Will definitely make this again!