Cauliflower and Ham Chowder
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups chopped fresh or frozen cauliflower
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of potato soup, undiluted
- 1 cup half-and-half cream or evaporated milk
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups diced fully cooked ham
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, cook cauliflower and celery in broth for 4-5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Do not drain. Stir in the soup, cream and pepper.
- Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into cauliflower mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add ham; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until heated through. Just before serving, stir in cheese. Garnish with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 163 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 1011mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 10g protein.
May 12, 2020
What a nice little soup. Wanted to save a few calories so I did not thicken, used less cheese and no cream. Love the addition of the ham . VFE
Apr 18, 2017
Good soup, easy to make, but needed a little something. Since I don't do celery, I sauteed a chopped onion before adding the cauliflower and broth. It really improved the flavor. We love it !
Jan 9, 2017
Very good flavor and very easy...very few ingredients but so good! Served with a cheese biscuit. Thanks, Patty! My husband and I each had a bowl and we had a small bowl left. To serve 6=8 you'd have to double or more. I also found even with the ham and cheese, it needed just a small amount of salt....maybe 1/4 tsp. Also, won't use the cornstarch mixture next time as I don't think it was needed but I would add the 1/4 c. water.
Jan 18, 2014
I really liked this recipe, I thought at first it was on the bland side, but I just went ahead and added another can of potato soup and added one tablespoon of butter. In doing so I did not have to add the cornstarch mixture. Great for a chilly winter night.
Apr 17, 2012
I made this with leftover Easter ham. I had to double it for my large family, but I loved the flavor! So good we may have to triple it just so we can have leftovers!
Apr 4, 2012
Although this chowder was easy and tasted good I was a bit disappointed after reading such rave reviews IMO it's a little bland.
Nov 25, 2011
I've made this recipe for years. I've had to increase the amounts so there is enough for my family because they all love it (my 5 year old daughter's favorite). I now add broccoli and use milk instead of cream/evap milk and it is still great.
Nov 10, 2011
This recipe is absolutely terrific. I love cauliflower and ham together. Will keep this recipe handy for special occassions.
Oct 23, 2011
Very easy. My family loved it. Reheated well too.
Mar 22, 2011
Wow!! Wonderful! And way easy to make..I was looking for recipes to use leftover ham. My son and husband love this..thank you!