Wild Rice and Barley Soup Mix
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/3 cup dried vegetable flakes
- 3 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1/2 cup dried minced onion
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 8 cups water
- Real bacon bits, optional
- In a small bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In a pint-size jar with a tight-fitting lid, layer the barley, vegetable flakes, brown sugar mixture, bouillon granules, rice and onion, packing each layer tightly (do not mix). Cover and store in a cool, dry place for up to 4 months. Yield: 1 batch.
- To prepare soup: Pour mix into a large saucepan. Add water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until rice is tender. Sprinkle with bacon bits if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 151 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 8mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein.
Sep 28, 2011
Easy to prepare and smells the kitchen up like Thanksgiving before the pies go in! I added sauteed mushrooms to my own and of all things - a handful of cashews! Yummy!! The only thing I would do different is exchange the chicken bouillon for something less salty. Maybe a soup mix or something. Otherwise I love this and I will definitely have jars on hand to give at Chrismas. Winner!
Nov 25, 2009
Is the brown sugar a mistake in this recipe? I've never seen sugar in soup before...
Nov 8, 2008
I have been looking for dried vegetable flakes. Any suggestions where do buy them at a reasonable price. I need these by Dec 1 2008. Would love some suggestions, even online buying.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.