Ham, Potato and Pepper Chowder
I have been serving this chowder for years now. When I’m feeding family members who don’t eat dairy products, I substitute oil for the butter, and use coconut milk or soy creamer instead of heavy cream. And it still turns out great! —Eileen Stefanski, Wales, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
Makes6 servings (2 quarts)
- 1-1/2 pounds potatoes (about 2 large), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large sweet red pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 large green pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham (about 8 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Optional toppings: Shredded cheddar cheese, cooked and crumbled bacon, minced fresh chives and sour cream
- Place potatoes and 2 cups broth in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, 10-15 minutes. Cool slightly. Transfer to a food processor; cover and process until smooth.
- In same pan, heat butter over medium heat; saute red and green peppers, onion and carrot until carrot is tender, 8-10 minutes. Add ham, jalapeno and seasonings; cook and stir 1 minute.
- Stir in pureed potatoes and remaining broth; bring just to a boil. In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot soup into egg yolk and cream; return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Serve with toppings as desired.