Mexican Chorizo and Corn Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min.
Makes10 servings (3-1/2 quarts)
- 3/4 pound bulk fresh chorizo or spicy pork sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 pounds potatoes (about 4 medium), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 cups frozen corn (about 16 ounces)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Optional: Queso fresco and chopped fresh cilantro
- In a Dutch oven, cook and crumble chorizo over medium heat until cooked through, 4-6 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove chorizo to paper towels, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings in pan.
- In drippings, saute onion and red and poblano peppers over medium heat until tender, 8-10 minutes. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in flour and seasonings until blended; cook and stir 3 minutes. Gradually stir in broth.
- Add potatoes and corn; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until potatoes are tender, 10-15 minutes. Stir in sour cream and chorizo; heat through. If desired, serve with cheese and cilantro.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 269 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 1063mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 13g protein.
Nov 24, 2019
Delicious! Had no problemo or frozen corn. I used a can of southwestern corn with poblanos in it and a can of fire roasted corn. It's a keeper!
Oct 3, 2019
Totally delish! I did not have any chorizo on hand, so I substituted a 1 lb tube of breakfast sausage with a 1/4 tsp chili pepper flakes, plus I used 2 poblano peppers (instead on 1). After making this soup for a group of friends, they all asked me for the recipe! Thank you for sharing!!!!
May 21, 2019
We made this tonight. Was a bit of a "we have most of this and ill improvise the rest" dinner. Eyeballed all the measurements. Used garlic powder instead of garlic. Only had 3 small potatoes. Used 2 cans of corn. Added oregano at the end and served over rice. Oh and used a green pepper and half a jalepeno. Super yum. Family loved it. Will make again!