Ham and Vegetable Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 3 hours 10 min.
Makes14-16 servings (4 quarts)
- 2 pounds smoked ham hocks
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 cups water
- 2-1/2 cups diced unpeeled red potatoes
- 1 cup each frozen corn, peas and cut green beans
- 1 can (11-1/2 ounces) condensed bean and bacon soup, undiluted
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place ham hocks, carrots, celery, onion and water in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-1/2 hours or until meat starts to all off the bones.
- Add potatoes and vegetables; bring to a boil oil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Remove hocks; allow to cool. Remove meat from bones and cut into bite-size pieces; discard bones. Return meat to kettle. Stir in bean and bacon soup and pepper; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 253 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 205mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 18g protein.
Dec 21, 2017
This soup is wonderful! The can of bean soup tops the flavor off perfectly.
May 27, 2011
Both my husband & I loved it. Had a leftover meaty ham bone, used it with a little liquid smoke. A keeper.
Feb 25, 2011
I brought ham shanks by mistake and did not know what to make with them, so I made this soup and the whole family loved it!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.