Cheesy Ham Chowder
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 10 bacon strips, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2-1/2 cups cubed potatoes
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- Pepper to taste
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- In a Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain. In the drippings, saute onion and carrots until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add milk and water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the potatoes, corn, bouillon and pepper. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add cheese and ham; heat until cheese is melted. Stir in bacon.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 418 calories, 28g fat (14g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 1056mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 19g protein.
Jun 2, 2018
Kids love this! I make it at least twice a month, regardless of what time of year it is. The only thing I do different is add more flour (oh, and minus the carrots, because.. gross) because the kids like it a bit thicker. So delicious! It's one of my go to recipes. Made it so many times I don't even need the recipe anymore. You won't be disappointed!
Apr 8, 2018
Delicious chowder that I will definitely prepare for my family again next fall/winter! The only thing I did differently was add fresh garlic.
Mar 21, 2018
Awesome Chowder, super easy to make and delicious!
Jan 29, 2018
Made this soup for the first time, and it won't be the last. It is truly great tasting.
Jan 3, 2018
Not that this recipe needs another 5 star review but this truly is a delicious chowder. I avoid chowders because they're usually way too thick and heavy. This was neither, just a perfect balance. I used 2% milk and reduced sodium chicken broth for the liquids and I added celery and thyme as suggested by other reviewers. I will make this again.
Jan 3, 2018
I added celery, 12 oz. of frozen corn instead of canned corn, I added thyme lemon sea salt.
Jan 2, 2018
This recipe made me want to sign up after trying multiple others over the past few months.If you haven't made it yet, make it.The author is a culinary genious. I love it.I removed the carrots, and onions, and added some garlic powder, as well as some extra ham, but this recipe is fantastic however you like it. It's open to customization, but if you like the vegetables, there's no way you can go wrong here. If you like garlic, I would definitely recommend adding a light amount of it. Don't overdo it, the flavors in this dish shouldn't be overthrown by the garlic.
Dec 3, 2017
I had never made a soup like this. Very good, will make it again.
Oct 21, 2017
My kids (and their friends) now call this Halloween Soup because I make it every Halloween. As adults, my kids still come over in October and request this soup. I always have to make a double batch with extra bacon. So satisfying.
Sep 27, 2017
This was amazing! I love my soups a little on the thick side and this one fit the bill. The flavors were perfect. Did not change a thing. Thanks for the recipe.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.