Cheesy Ham Chowder
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 10 bacon strips, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2-1/2 cups cubed potatoes
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- Pepper to taste
- 3 cups Kerrygold shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- In a Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain. In the drippings, saute onion and carrots until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add milk and water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the potatoes, corn, bouillon and pepper. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add cheese and ham; heat until cheese is melted. Stir in bacon.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 418 calories, 28g fat (14g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 1056mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 19g protein.
Nov 27, 2019
My family loves this recipe!! It's absolutely delicious!
Nov 25, 2019
This was good the first day, but the second day it was awesome after the flavors had time to meld. A hearty, delishious soup. I used 1/2
Oct 20, 2019
This is a very tasty soup! The ham and bacon combination really put it over the top! One of our favorite potato soups I have tried!
Aug 30, 2019
You will want more than one cup for a serving! Even children love this one.
May 13, 2019
This was a very good Soup. My family really enjoyed it. It was a very simple recipe to make.
Apr 4, 2019
Delicious!!! Will start adding this to our dinner rotation.
Mar 2, 2019
I make this several times in the fall and winter. Served with biscuits or cornbread it makes a hearty dinner on cold evenings
Jan 29, 2019
I've been making this for a couple of years now and it is wonderful! We love it!
Jan 18, 2019
Oh, this is so very good! Keeper! It has 2 kinds of pork, potatoes, lots of veggies..creamy, cheesy, sweet corny goodness in a bowl. Rich
Jan 15, 2019
My family asks for this recipe often. It is easy and delicious. Nothing is better on a cold winter day. I serve with a green salad and good homemade bread.