Cheddar Ham Chowder
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 25 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1/2 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 can (15-3/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- In a large saucepan, bring the water, potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, salt and pepper to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are just tender. Remove from the heat; do not drain.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, melt the butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add cheese and stir until melted. Stir into the undrained vegetables; return large saucepan to the heat. Add corn and ham; heat through, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 434 calories, 27g fat (18g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 1237mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 22g protein.
Apr 28, 2019
This was a great starting recipe - I added some chicken bouillon and garlic powder (per another recipe I saw on taste of home). Delicous!! Used Shoepeg corn.
Jan 27, 2019
This soup was fantastic! I enjoyed it so much, that I shared it with a friend and her husband. Not only did I love it, but my friend's husband, who doesn't eat leftovers, ate it every day after that until it was gone! If I could've given it 10 stars, I would've.
Sep 30, 2018
I made this, with some simple changes(family preferences). I used mushrooms, instead of celery. And also replaced the corn with peas. Yum.
Apr 8, 2018
This is a great recipe and a great way to use leftover ham from Easter. I included the ham bone with the water and vegetables to give it more flavor. I also used smoked cheddar cheese and frozen corn instead of canned. This recipe is a keeper!
Jan 15, 2017
We love cheese in our household. This was perfect for us and easy for me to put together. I may add more vegetables nexterm time.
Dec 30, 2016
This wasn't bad but tasted like it was missing something to me. If I made this again I would add more vegetables. I could taste too much cheese over everything else. An easy recipe that one could modify to their liking though.
Nov 19, 2016
Very tasty even when I eliminated the salt and added reduced /fat free ingredients. Will probably add more veggies next time. Will definitely make again. Thanks for sharing.
Sep 9, 2016
I love this recipe and have been making it for years when I got it out of Country Woman magazine. It's very satisfying. I use turkey ham instead of regular ham and have substituted colby cheese when I didn't have cheddar.
May 9, 2016
Hearty and tasty! The only change I made was I added about a half teaspoon of cayenne pepper to give it more flavor. Will be making this one again.
Feb 8, 2016
I make this frequently, especially when I want to give another family a meal. I use my freezer corn and also add sweet potatoes.