Cheddar Ham Chowder
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 25 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1/2 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 can (15-3/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- In a large saucepan, bring the water, potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, salt and pepper to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are just tender. Remove from the heat; do not drain.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, melt the butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add cheese and stir until melted. Stir into the undrained vegetables; return large saucepan to the heat. Add corn and ham; heat through, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 434 calories, 27g fat (18g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 1237mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 22g protein.
Apr 8, 2018
This is a great recipe and a great way to use leftover ham from Easter. I included the ham bone with the water and vegetables to give it more flavor. I also used smoked cheddar cheese and frozen corn instead of canned. This recipe is a keeper!
Jan 15, 2017
We love cheese in our household. This was perfect for us and easy for me to put together. I may add more vegetables nexterm time.
Dec 30, 2016
This wasn't bad but tasted like it was missing something to me. If I made this again I would add more vegetables. I could taste too much cheese over everything else. An easy recipe that one could modify to their liking though.
Nov 19, 2016
Very tasty even when I eliminated the salt and added reduced /fat free ingredients. Will probably add more veggies next time. Will definitely make again. Thanks for sharing.
Sep 9, 2016
I love this recipe and have been making it for years when I got it out of Country Woman magazine. It's very satisfying. I use turkey ham instead of regular ham and have substituted colby cheese when I didn't have cheddar.
May 9, 2016
Hearty and tasty! The only change I made was I added about a half teaspoon of cayenne pepper to give it more flavor. Will be making this one again.
Feb 8, 2016
I make this frequently, especially when I want to give another family a meal. I use my freezer corn and also add sweet potatoes.
Nov 18, 2015
Really tasty, but I used frozen southwestern corn, and cayenne pepper to jazz it up. I served it with crescent rolls. My family liked it.
Jan 19, 2015
Love this. So wonderful to take to warm up at work or get cozy on a cold day. I'm definitely saving this one for years to come.
Dec 24, 2013
Excellent cold weather soup! I did saute the onions, carrots and celery first and, as suggested reduced the salt and increased the vegetables. Great base recipe to expand on and froze well for individual meals.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.