Creamy Wild Rice Soup with Ham
Total TimePrep: 50 min. + standing Cook: 15 min.
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
- 3 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 3 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- Green onion, cut into thin strips, optional
- In a large saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil. Add rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-55 minutes or until tender. Remove from the heat. Let stand for 10 minutes; drain and set aside.
- In a large Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute the onions, carrot and pecans in butter for 1-2 minutes. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add the ham, pepper and wild rice. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Reduce heat. Add cream and heat through (do not boil). Sprinkle with green onion if desired.
Feb 28, 2015
Delicious. I usually add a bit more shredded carrot.
Jan 6, 2015
Really good... pretty easy... love the pecans in it, the crunch was perfect... very hearty. Will make again.
Sep 13, 2011
My family loves this soup and so does everyone I have ever made it for. It is hearty and has a great blend of flavors. This is a soup you will crave!
Jan 6, 2009
Really good wild rice soup. I altered the recipe for the 2 of us. I halved the rice, chicken broth, flour, half and half and made the full amounts of everthing else. This was enough to serve 3 and was more hearty with the additional ingredients.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.