Beef and Wild Rice Medley
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound beef top sirloin steak, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup sliced celery
- 1/4 cup julienned green pepper
- 2-1/4 cups water
- 1 package (6 ounces) long grain and wild rice mix
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- In a small bowl, combine the garlic powder, thyme and cayenne. Sprinkle over beef.
- In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook beef in oil until no longer pink; drain. Stir in celery and green pepper; cook 2 minutes longer or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in the water and rice mix with contents of seasoning packet.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 23-28 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in tomato; heat through. Sprinkle with onion.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 327 calories, 10g fat (2g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 626mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Dec 5, 2017
I substituted ground beef for the steak. Price was ridiculous on a small piece of steak. Other than that I made exactly as directed...it was very good but I agree with a previous poster...the veggies were mushy...cooked too long and I do wish there had been more wild rice in the mix. I used Rice A Roni. Will make again but add the veggies half way into the cooking time rather than at the beginning.
May 15, 2015
This was sooooo delicious! My whole family gobbled it up and said they wished there had been more of it, so I'll probably double the recipe next time so we can have it two nights in a row! My 10-year old daughter is a very picky eater, and she really loved this. I didn't have green pepper, so I put in red pepper instead. I also sprinkled some shredded 2% cheddar cheese on top when I served it, and I served buttered crusty French bread on the side. Yum! This is definitely going in our regular meal rotation.
Jun 10, 2013
I found this recipe sort of bland. The celery and green pepper being cooked was mushy and less flavorful and I wonder how they would've been raw. However, my family actually liked this -- even the picky toddler was eating it -- so I will probably make it again.
Dec 1, 2012
I made the recipe as directed only adding more beef and more rice and it was so good! I had to adjust the water a bit for the addition of the rice, too. There was only one small problem with this dish....there were no leftovers!!
Nov 9, 2012
Very quick and easy! Tastes good too. One of those Duh? Why didn't I think of doing that moments!! Great change up for dinner.
Mar 25, 2011
This recipe is super tasty! And healthy!~ Theresa
Jan 19, 2011
I have made this several times. Easy to make and the entire family of picky eaters loves it!
Mar 21, 2010
This is easy to make after work and my family loves it
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.