Chicken & Vegetable Wild Rice Soup
This go-to weeknight recipe is one I tweaked over and over till it was just right. It has morphed from a labor-intensive wintry bowl to a steamy, comforting, slow-cooked favorite for our family. —Courtney Riggin, Hatchechubbee, Alabama
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6-1/2 hours
Makes8 servings (3 quarts)
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups frozen corn (about 10 ounces), thawed
- 1 package (6 ounces) long grain and wild rice mix
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 1 medium leek (white portion only), finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 3 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup dry sherry or additional broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cut fresh asparagus (1-inch pieces)
- Chopped green onions, optional
- Place first 12 ingredients in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker; stir to combine. Cook, covered, on low until chicken and vegetables are tender, 6-8 hours.
- Mix sour cream and flour until smooth; stir into soup. Stir in asparagus. Cook, covered, on high until soup is thickened and asparagus is tender, 20-25 minutes. If desired, serve with green onions.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 310 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 1060mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 19g protein.
Originally published as Weeknight Sherry-Confetti Chicken Soup in Simple & Delicious April/May 2017