Chicken & Vegetable Wild Rice Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6-1/2 hours
Makes8 servings (3 quarts)
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups frozen corn (about 10 ounces), thawed
- 1 package (6 ounces) long grain and wild rice mix
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 1 medium leek (white portion only), finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 3 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup dry sherry or additional broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cut fresh asparagus (1-inch pieces)
- Chopped green onions, optional
- Place first 12 ingredients in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker; stir to combine. Cook, covered, on low until chicken and vegetables are tender, 6-8 hours.
- Mix sour cream and flour until smooth; stir into soup. Stir in asparagus. Cook, covered, on high until soup is thickened and asparagus is tender, 20-25 minutes. If desired, serve with green onions.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 310 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 1060mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 19g protein.
Oct 26, 2019
We really enjoyed this soup! To be fair, I made some substitutions to accommodate what I had on hand. I used poultry seasoning instead of thyme and green onions instead of leeks. I also added some garlic. Otherwise, I made it as described. We thought it was flavorful and filling -- just what you want on a cold day.
Oct 21, 2019
I won't be trying this recipe again. Very bland.