Chicken Wild Rice Soup with Mushrooms
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 15 min.
Makes10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 1 package (6 ounces) long grain and wild rice mix
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1-1/4 cups chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 6 tablespoons sliced green onions
- Prepare rice mix according to package directions, omitting butter. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute the chicken, mushrooms and onions in oil until chicken is no longer pink and vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Add the prepared rice, broth, tarragon, thyme and pepper; bring to a boil. Combine cornstarch and evaporated milk until smooth; stir into rice mixture. Return to a boil; cook for 1-2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Garnish with green onions.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 120 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 427mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch.
May 9, 2014
Very good soup, I made it without the mushrooms as I don't like them. This would be good with a homemade crusty bread on a cold night.
Sep 14, 2013
Delicious! I did leave out the mushrooms as DH does not care for them. Great for a cold day.
Dec 30, 2012
made this soup and it is sooooooooooo goooooood.. I will be making it again and again...Love it.
Oct 15, 2011
I added a few things to make it my own and it is now a family fav. I would make it over and over.
Apr 19, 2011
So easy and so good. I use left-over chicken and canned mushrooms.
Apr 19, 2010
This has become one of my favorite soups. It's really delicious. Please try it.
Feb 17, 2010
Big hit at an office gathering! Everyone wanted the recipe!