Curried Chicken Rice Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 3 cans (12 ounces each) evaporated milk
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 to 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 cups cooked long grain rice
- In a large saucepan, saute carrots, celery and onion in butter for 2 minutes. Stir in flour, seasoned salt and curry until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Gradually add broth. Stir in chicken and rice. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 257 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 610mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 11g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 29, 2015
I've made this multiple times and it is a winner with those that tasted it. The recipe is always requested. Great soup to share since it makes such a large batch. I increased the curry to 1 TBSP, used 1 can coconut milk replacing one can evaporated milk and added 3 cloves minced garlic. I skipped the seasoning salt to reduce the sodium. It is comfort in a bowl and great this time of year.
Feb 1, 2014
This soup is comfort food at its finest! Even though I reduced the amount of butter and flour and used 1% milk instead of evaporated, the soup was still thick and creamy and absolutely delicious. My husband can't wait for me to make it again!
Oct 5, 2012
I increased the curry to 1/2 T and decreased the oil (instead of butter) and flour to 1/4 cup each. This was for half a recipe. I would decrease them to 1/8 cup each next time. Used 2 cups brown rice even though it was half the recipe and that seemed about right; could even use more. It needed salt in addition to the seasoned salt. Even though I made several changes, I think it's a good recipe and would make it again. My husband wanted even more curry!
Jan 11, 2011
I'm confused?? The lighter version has more calories per serving. How is it lighter?? Reducing the fat is great, but it all comes down to calories when losing weight.