Coconut Curry Chicken Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 2 cans (13.66 ounces each) coconut milk
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup red curry paste
- 1 package (8.8 ounces) thin rice noodles
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce or soy sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1-1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup bean sprouts
- Fresh basil and cilantro leaves
- In a Dutch oven, bring coconut milk to a boil. Cook, uncovered, 10-12 minutes or until liquid is reduced to 3 cups. Stir in curry paste until completely dissolved.
- Meanwhile, prepare noodles according to package directions.
- Add broth, brown sugar, fish sauce and garlic salt to curry mixture; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in chicken; heat through.
- Drain noodles; divide among six large soup bowls. Ladle soup over noodles; top servings with vegetables, basil and cilantro.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 601 calories, 34g fat (26g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 1722mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 4g fiber), 27g protein.
Feb 18, 2018
Barbara, you missed the instructions near the end: "top servings with vegetables, basil and cilantro."
Dec 7, 2017
Good but it was missing something. Can't put my finger on it but definitely needed something else - maybe ginger? Salt? More basil and cilantro? Anybody else thinking the same?
Nov 22, 2017
I used coconut milk that I buy in the half gallon for my smoothies. It was fine. I cut the brown sugar in half as I don't like sweet HOT food but it was very good.
Nov 19, 2017
Excellent. ... I've made this several times since I found this recipe. I can't get over how easy it is to make and how delicious it is. I've added a variety of vegetables to the broth mixture...just to add color. Definitely on my favorite foods to eat list.
Oct 30, 2017
There is a lack of instruction. Please check that. Nothing about the vegetables being added. I added the vegetables after adding the spices. I had two spoonfuls of the soup. Ummmmm good!
Oct 26, 2017
Hello. Red curry paste is not available in my country. How do i replace it?
Sep 19, 2017
My biggest problem with this recipe is HOW CAN I STOP EATING IT??? I halved the recipe, since I'm cooking for myself, and I was doubting whether the five star reviews were for real. I did my best to make the recipe "as is." I used half fish sauce and half soy sauce. I didn't have chicken on hand, so I used some cubes of steak. As is, it is delicious, but then I realized I was missing a ginger flavor which I love, so I added some finely sliced pickled ginger along with the sliced fresh cabbage. So delicious. I also followed one reviewers suggestion to substitute bean sprouts for the noodles. I used 2/3 noodles and 1/3 bean sprouts. However, afterwards I was twirling up noodles and dipping them in the pot of soup, while standing at the kitchen sink. The only reason I stopped eating was to write this review! ??
Sep 18, 2017
I love this soup when it starts getting cooler outside. I make it exactly as written and it's perfect for me.
Oct 23, 2016
Delicious! My family loved it. Will make this again and again!
Oct 10, 2016
This was so delicious. Used a seafood mix of mussels and squid. Can't wait to make again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.