Curry Chicken Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup chopped peeled apple
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 to 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook chicken in 1 teaspoon oil for 4-5 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove chicken and set aside.
- In the same saucepan, saute the onion, carrot, celery and green pepper in remaining oil for 4 minutes. Add apple; cook 2 minutes longer. Combine flour and salt. Sprinkle over vegetable mixture; cook and stir for 1 minute. Gradually stir in broth and tomato paste. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes longer or until slightly thickened.
- Stir in the curry, ginger and pepper flakes. Return chicken to saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 183 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 752mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 4g fiber), 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Dec 21, 2011
I make this so that it comes out thicker and goes well over rice. I've been looking for a good curry recipe to adopt for my household and we love this one!
Dec 2, 2010
This is wonderful with or without the tomato paste and using Turkey instead of chicken.
Nov 23, 2010
I sweat for a week after eating this...then I remembered there was leftovers.Sigh...Needless to say I will not be making this again.
Nov 3, 2010
I thought the flavors were wonderful and it was easy to make. Perfect for a chilly winter day.
Nov 1, 2010
I loved this soup! It was very easy to make and really warmed us up on a cold night. My husband suggests that I cut back a tad on the ginger next time.
Oct 29, 2010
The stars weren't showing when I wrote the review
Oct 29, 2010
this was excellent... we used coconut oil and it added to the curry flavor. Used a 6-oz can of tomato paste without a problem. We felt it "needed" something and these reviews mentioning RICE is probably that missing ingredient, so we'll try that next time. We have several vegetarian friends, so I am confident that this, with vegetable broth and garbanzo beans instead of chicken, will be a hit with them.It was awesome to make this with all the veggies and the apple fresh from our garden!
Oct 20, 2010
This soup was great! The apples were a pleasant surprise and contrast when my palate was expecting potato. We added some cooked rice to leftovers the next day and it was great! Will make a double batch next time.
Oct 20, 2010
Wow! This was great. I never would have thought to put apple in soup but this tasted great! My only complaint was that it didn't make more! Next time I'll double the recipe
Oct 17, 2010
This was delicious! Curry powder is one of my favorite flavors, and this soup wears it well. Great consistency with a little bit of a kick. Will definitely make this again!