Curly Noodle Chicken Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 1 hour 25 min.
Makes9 servings (about 2 quarts)
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each ) reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 6 ounces uncooked tricolor spiral pasta
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- In a large saucepan, saute the chicken, onion, celery, carrots and garlic in butter and oil for 5 minutes. Stir in the basil, oregano and pepper until blended.
- Set aside 1 cup broth. Gradually add remaining broth to the pan. Stir in tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes.
- Return to a boil; stir in the pasta. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-13 minutes or until pasta is almost tender. Combine flour and reserved broth until smooth. Stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 223 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 537mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Dec 7, 2016
Made this with leftover chicken. It was amazing!!! I never write reviews, but was compelled to for this recipe. It was absolutely delicious. I did throw in the skin and bones from the previous night's chicken thighs while it was cooking. Right before serving, I removed the skin and bones. Wonderful soup.
Sep 15, 2015
I run the tomatoes through the food processor, my guys aren't fans of chunks of tomato. Simple, filling and very comforting!
Aug 26, 2015
My mother always used a tomato base for her chicken noodle soup so naturally I fell in love with this recipe. I use rotisserie chicken.
Apr 13, 2015
I have been making this soup for a few years now and love it. My son is 7 and can't get enough. Very family friendly tasty recipe. I also add a little extra broth.
Feb 27, 2015
I used a whole chicken I purchased at the grocery store. I also changed the amount of tomatoes. I used to cans of diced tomatoes with garlic.
Jan 2, 2015
Tasty variation of a basic chicken noodle soup. Very easy to throw this together. I had leftover baked chicken breasts that I needed to use up so I saved a little time in having the chicken already cooked and I eliminated the oil that would have been used to cook the chicken in the saucepan. I used a healthy, lower-carb penne pasta and it worked well. I thought I was saving sodium by using low-sodium broth but ended up adding salt at the end to enhance the taste of the soup. When I make this again, I think I will either use Italian tomatoes or increase the amount of spice to liven it up a bit.
Dec 11, 2014
Apr 12, 2014
My kids have very different tastes, so it's a rare and wonderful thing to get thumbs up from everyone at the table. Will definitely make again, but will probably add a bit more broth next time.
Oct 11, 2013
I love this soup! I love that it makes a huge amount and that it's so rich in flavor. We've made this several times.
Jun 30, 2013
My family loves this soup! They call it Italian Chicken Noodle Soup. I double the garlic and I only use 2 Tbsp of flour. I increase the basil and oregano a bit too. We like it to be more soup than stew like, so I use 10 cups of chicken broth and toss in a few extra chicken bouillon cubes for flavor. We've made this a lot since it first was published and it's a staple in the winter for us. The only time consuming part is chopping the veggies which I can do ahead of time.