Cream of Chicken Noodle Soup
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 2 medium onions
- 2 celery ribs
- 4 cups water
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 medium potato, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 cups uncooked wide egg noodles
- 1-3/4 cups milk, divided
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- Chop one onion and one celery rib; set aside. Cut remaining onion and celery into chunks; place in a Dutch oven. Add the water, chicken, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until a thermometer reads 170°. Remove chicken and strain broth; set both aside.
- In the same pan, saute chopped onion and celery in butter until tender. Add the canned broth, carrot, potato, bouillon, basil and reserved broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add noodles. Return to a boil; cook for 6-8 minutes or until noodles are tender. Cut chicken into chunks; add to soup. Stir in 1-1/4 cups milk; heat through.
- Combine flour and remaining milk until smooth; add to soup, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 207 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 958mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 15g protein.
Jan 28, 2015
awsome recipe it realy is good for cold days
Mar 29, 2014
Good, will make again.
Dec 19, 2012
My 6 year old asks for this soup. This is now my official go to chicken noodle soup recipe.
Sep 26, 2011
What a delicious, comforting soup this is! The flavor is excellent and it's creaminess makes it special. The only thing I did differently was that I didn't strain the broth after taking the chicken out...I don't like to throw away food, and the onion and celery chunks used for flavor while cooking the chicken were great in it. A wonderful soup recipe - delicious, and economical to boot. A real winner!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.