Best Chicken Noodle Soup
Total TimePrep: 2 hours Cook: 30 min.
Makes10 servings (2-3/4 quarts)
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 2 broiler/fryer chickens (3 to 3-1/2 pounds each)
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2-1/4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Combine the first four ingredients; rub over chickens. Place in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/4 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°. Drain and reserve drippings. Skim fat. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones; discard bones. Cut meat into bite-size pieces. Cover and refrigerate chicken.
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, bring chicken broth and reserved drippings to a boil. Add the mushrooms, celery, carrots, onion and pepper; simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Make a well in the center. Beat egg, milk and oil; pour into well. Stir together, forming a dough. Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead 8-10 times. Divide into thirds. Roll out each portion to 1/8-in. thickness; cut to desired width.
- Freeze two portions to use at another time. Bring soup to a boil. Add one portion of noodles; cook for 7-9 minutes or until noodles are almost tender. Add chicken; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 330 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 1087mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 24g protein.
Dec 27, 2014
Did I miss something, when do you add the chicken to the soup?
Mar 7, 2013
The soup was a bit thick and bland for our taste-but we loved the noodles!!
Dec 15, 2007
This sounds (and looks good) I want to try the homemade noodles with the Evaporated milk. Thanks for posting! Alliea
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.