Chicken and Vegetable Noodle Soup
Total TimePrep: 1 hour Cook: 2-1/2 hours
Makes64 servings (1 cup each)
- 4 whole broiler/fryer chickens (3 to 4 pounds each)
- 10 quarts water
- 3 bunches celery, chopped
- 2 pounds carrots, sliced
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 jars (8 ounces each) chicken base
- 1/4 cup dried parsley flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2-1/2 pounds uncooked fine egg noodles
- Divide chickens and water between two stockpots. Slowly bring to a boil over low heat. Cover and simmer for 2 hours or until meat is tender, skimming the surface as foam rises. Remove chickens from broth; set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Add the celery, carrots, onions, chicken base and parsley to the pots; season with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Cook noodles according to package directions; drain. Stir into soup. Remove chicken meat from bones; cut into bite-size pieces. Add to soup; heat through.
Editor's NoteLook for chicken base near the broth and bouillon.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 190 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 837mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 14g protein.
Apr 7, 2011
Very tasty. Only thing I would do differently is store it without the noodles and fresh cook the noodles at the time I want to serve it. Noodles tend to get mushy and the starch from them changes the broth flavor.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.