Thai Chicken Noodle Soup
This slow cooker soup is a semi-homemade version that coaxes all of the flavor out of a rotisserie chicken. Do the prep work the day before and toss the broth-making ingredients into the slow cooker in the morning. It's a snap to finish when you get home. —Beth Jacobson, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 large onion, halved
- 1 piece fresh ginger (3 to 4 inches), halved lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 rotisserie chicken
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 5 whole cloves
- 3 whole star anise
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 3 quarts reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 package (8.8 ounces) rice noodles
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Optional ingredients: bean sprouts, fresh basil leaves, fresh cilantro leaves, thinly sliced green onions, chili garlic sauce, fish sauce and lime wedges
- Preheat broiler. Place onion and ginger in a foil-lined 15x10x1-in. baking pan; drizzle with oil. Broil 3-4 in. from heat 8-10 minutes or until well browned. Meanwhile, remove chicken from bones; reserve carcass and shred meat. Place carcass, onion, ginger, spices and broth in a 6-qt slow cooker. Cook on low 6-8 hours.
- Cook noodles according to package instructions. Strain soup and keep warm; discard carcass, vegetables and spices. Stir in brown sugar, fish sauce and lime juice. Place noodles and chicken in soup bowls. Ladle broth into soup bowls. Add toppings of your choice.
Nutrition Facts2-1/2 cups (calculated without optional toppings): 398 calories, 15g fat (4g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 1321mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 32g protein.
Originally published as Thai Chicken Noodle Soup in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.