Veggie Thai Curry Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 package (8.8 ounces) thin rice noodles or uncooked angel hair pasta
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 1 carton (32 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce or fish sauce
- 1 package (14 ounces) firm tofu, drained and cubed
- 1 can (8-3/4 ounces) whole baby corn, drained and cut in half
- 1 can (5 ounces) bamboo shoots, drained
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1/2 medium sweet red pepper, cut into thin strips
- Torn fresh basil leaves and lime wedges
- Prepare noodles according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium heat. Add curry paste; cook until aromatic, about 30 seconds. Gradually whisk in coconut milk until blended. Stir in broth and soy sauce; bring to a boil.
- Add tofu and vegetables to stockpot; cook until vegetables are crisp-tender, 3-5 minutes. Drain noodles; add to soup. Top each serving with basil; serve with lime wedges.
Nutrition Facts1-2/3 cups: 289 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 772mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1 medium-fat meat, 1/2 fat.
Mar 2, 2018
I liked the base of the soup with curry paste and coconut milk and chicken broth but adding the canned vegetables really spoiled the freshness. Will use the base and add other fresh vegetables and kick the spice up.
Mar 26, 2016
The broth was perfect, just spicy enough. I used the "Simply Asia, Thai Kitchen" brand curry paste, and fish sauce. You can vary the veggies you use. The bamboo shoots and baby corn are good. I also added some cauliflower instead of mushrooms and sweet red pepper.
Feb 16, 2016
Very good! I added just a little bit of salt.
Jan 27, 2016
This was delicious! I fried the tofu in a little olive oil first but changed nothing else. The lime at the end is crucial. So good!