Spicy Thai Coconut Chicken Soup
For national soup month, I came up with a soup recipe every day,and this was my favorite. So easy with just a touch of special Thai flavors I used whole coconut milk,not lite. It made a big difference.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 40 min.
Makes6 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons peanut or canola oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons red curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha Asian hot chili sauce
- 1 can (13.66 ounces) light coconut milk
- 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 cups thinly sliced Chinese or napa cabbage
- 1 cup thinly sliced fresh snow peas
- Thinly sliced green onions
- Lime wedges
- Toss chicken with cornstarch. In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat; saute chicken until lightly browned, 2-3 minutes. Remove from pot.
- In same pan, saute onion, jalapeno and garlic in remaining oil over medium-high heat until onion is tender, 3-4 minutes. Stir in seasonings, chili sauce, coconut milk and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 20 minutes.
- Stir in cabbage, snow peas and chicken; cook, uncovered, just until cabbage is crisp-tender and chicken is cooked through, 3-4 minutes. Serve with green onions and lime wedges.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 244 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 1017mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 17g protein.
Originally published as Spicy Thai Chicken Coconut Soup in Simple & Delicious February/March 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.