Spicy Thai Coconut Chicken Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 40 min.
Makes6 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons peanut or canola oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons red curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha chili sauce
- 1 can (13.66 ounces) light coconut milk
- 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 cups thinly sliced Chinese or napa cabbage
- 1 cup thinly sliced fresh snow peas
- Thinly sliced green onions
- Lime wedges
- Toss chicken with cornstarch. In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat; saute chicken until lightly browned, 2-3 minutes. Remove from pot.
- In same pan, saute onion, jalapeno and garlic in remaining oil over medium-high heat until onion is tender, 3-4 minutes. Stir in seasonings, chili sauce, coconut milk and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 20 minutes.
- Stir in cabbage, snow peas and chicken; cook, uncovered, just until cabbage is crisp-tender and chicken is cooked through, 3-4 minutes. Serve with green onions and lime wedges.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 244 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 1017mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 17g protein.
Apr 16, 2020
Lots of adjustments to make it work. The chicken takes longer to pre-cook and you better add more oil than indicated or it will stick to the bottom when cooking. Also, there is no reason to simmer for 20 minutes only to then cook cabbage and chicken for only 3-4. If you do so, you will undercook both cabbage and chicken. This recipe is delicious, but the instructions need some serious editing. Very poor attention to detail.
Jul 24, 2019
What a delicious recipe and great way to showcase my homegrown Chinese cabbage and snow pea pods! I used regular coconut milk (not light) and would definitely make it this way again.
Feb 19, 2019
This recipe is absolutley the best version of thai curry soup! It might be as simple as adding the chinese cabbage and peas but it works for it. I just made a few different varients of thai curry soups with different recipes but they fail in comparison to this recipe. Absolutely fantastic!
Feb 10, 2019
Excellent, simple recipe. I unfortunately used lite coconut milk (and added a tbsp of butter to make up for it). I highly highly highly recommend a few dashes of fish sauce. Really brought out the flavor.
Sep 25, 2018
Says to use whole coconut milk as it makes a big difference, Yet, in recipe, light coconut milk is listed. Can you tell me what the difference will be?