Thai Shrimp Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 1 lemongrass stalk
- 1 pound uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1-1/2 cups frozen shelled edamame
- 1 can (13.66 ounces) light coconut milk
- 1 can (8-3/4 ounces) whole baby corn, drained and cut in half
- 1/2 cup bamboo shoots
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil until tender. Add the broth, water, brown sugar, ginger, fish sauce, curry paste and lemongrass. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; carefully stir in shrimp and edamame. Cook, uncovered, for 5-6 minutes or until shrimp turn pink.
- Add the coconut milk, corn, bamboo shoots, basil, cilantro, lime juice, lime zest and curry powder; heat through. Discard lemongrass.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 163 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 505mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 14g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 30, 2018
awesome soup,so excited about how good it was especially for my first attempt,spicy enough but great taste without being salty,did peel shrimp so was a little time consuming but well worth it! Thanks so much!
Mar 19, 2016
I follow this recipe for its broth. The flavor is good enough but not spicy enough for me. So I added a few more tablespoon of curry paste to get to the spicy level that I like.
Jan 25, 2015
Nice & delicious recipe!
Sep 30, 2014
This was quick and easy.
Jan 3, 2014
Wow is all I can say. What a great taste and easy to make. I did not have lemongrass - used lemon peel and lime juice.
May 12, 2013
This is really fantastic and light on the calories. You can really taste the lime in this so if you don't like lime; I'd skip it. I will be making this over and over again!
Feb 24, 2013
Yummy! Yummy!Our whole family loved this soup, and my sons ate two helpings each!I substituted green curry paste for red, and lemon zest for lemon grass. We ate the soup served over long noodles.This is a new family favourite! I can't wait to make it for friends.
Jun 13, 2012
Excellent. excellent, excellent. I always receive compliments when I make this soup, as well as requests for the recipe itself. My family and friends "like it hot' so I tend to kick it up a notch with the spices and I vary the veggies; last time I made the soup I tossed in a bag of frozen Oriental-style vegetables, as I had a bag on hand at the time. And I have never made this recipe using actual lemon grass stalk as my local grocery store carries chopped lemon grass stalk (in a tube)in the produce section.
Feb 5, 2012
This is the best soup I have ever had the pleasure of eating! I absolutly loved it. I couldn't find lemongrass so I left it out. I have a lot of non-shrimp eaters at my house so I put some cooked chicken in as well for them. I will make this as often as I can get away with it. Just printed out the recipe to share with a friend.
Nov 26, 2011
We loved this recipe! I didn't have coconut milk and substituted evaporated milk. I skipped the cilantro and lime zest, didn't have it on hand, but it was still awesome! Thanks for the recipe!