Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet, saute onion and curry in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat; add the shrimp, sugar, salt and ginger. Cook and stir over medium heat until shrimp turn pink. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon juice. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 305 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 154mg cholesterol, 640mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 24g protein.
Dec 30, 2009
Will definitely make this again. My husband and I loved it. I increased the curry to 2 tsp, because we are curry hounds! We served it over brown rice - very tasty. It does make a bit of sauce but when put over the rice, it's perfect. Very easy to make - took longer to peel the shrimp than it did to cook it all up!
Nov 12, 2009
This dish is delicious. I have made it several times per my children's request. I just used the frozen raw shrimp (thawed)..it worked great!
Oct 3, 2009
We totally loved this dish (my kids too)..we topped the rice with the shrimp curry--it was delicious.It only made 3 servings for us though.
Sep 25, 2009
Boo. There was way too much liquid. I let it thicken, but still...if you try it, try less milk and broth. You can always add more.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.