Coconut Shrimp Chowder
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (13.66 ounces) coconut milk
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add pepper. Stir in the broth, corn, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in coconut milk. Cool slightly.
- In a food processor, process soup in batches until blended. Return all to pan. Add shrimp; cook and stir over medium heat for 5-6 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Stir in lime juice and cilantro. Garnish servings with avocado.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 376 calories, 26g fat (16g saturated fat), 112mg cholesterol, 633mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 5g fiber), 20g protein.
Sep 27, 2012
This recipe sounded weird but Taste of Home contest winners haven't let me down yet, so I tried it! I am glad I did! This was delish! It's warm and filling but with a tropical zest- a very pleasant combination of flavors. I will be making this soup again!