Mexican Shrimp Bisque
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Chopped fresh cilantro and sliced avocado, optional
- In a small saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended. Stir in the water, cream, bouillon and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Cut shrimp into bite-sized pieces if desired; add shrimp to soup. Simmer 5-10 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink. Place sour cream in a small bowl; gradually stir in 1/2 cup hot soup. Return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Heat through (do not boil). Top with cilantro and avocado if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 357 calories, 28g fat (15g saturated fat), 173mg cholesterol, 706mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 16g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 11, 2018
Absolutely fabulous! I wasn't sure how much I would like this one but it is a new favorite for sure.
Jan 1, 2018
Cut the chili powder in half in favor of a wife that doesn't love heat and the spices were perfect. Otherwise exactly as written. Nothing short of outstanding. Don't skip the avocado!
Oct 31, 2016
This is delicious. Very different and very easy to make. Definitely a keeper. Served over rice. Made exactly two bowels for my husband and me with no leftovers. If you plan to make this for friends, I suggest you double or triple recipe
Feb 4, 2016
This soup was delicious! I will definitely make it again.
Jan 10, 2016
Absolutely Wonderful. I made this tonight for dinner ( I doubled the batch ). My husband ate 2 BIG bowls and then picked out of the pan. We truly enjoyed this. I would truly recommend this.
Mar 20, 2015
I've made it twice now for my husband and I and he said it again, "this is the BEST" soup/meal that you can make!" I put it over a small bed of Jasmine rice, it was very filling! The avocado and cilantro is highly recommended.
Sep 30, 2014
I used 1 lbs. of mudbugs instead of shrimp and doubled the recipe. Out of this world great.
Aug 29, 2013
Very easy, excellent taste. I make the recipe as written and not make any adjustments.
Mar 23, 2013
Very tasty & easy
Jan 28, 2013
Fantastic!!! Made the other night and was very pleased and so was the family. Served over a bed of rice though, bulked up the meal a bit. Will be making again for sure.