Crab Corn Chowder
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 3 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 2 cups boiling water
- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 1/3 cup each diced sweet red, yellow and orange peppers
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 cans (14-3/4 ounces each) cream-style corn
- 1-1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed or 2 cups imitation crabmeat, flaked
- 1/2 cup minced chives
- Dissolve bouillon in water; set aside. In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon to paper towels to drain, reserving drippings.
- In the same pan, saute peppers and onion in drippings until tender. Stir in flour. Gradually stir in bouillon mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat; gradually stir in cream and corn. Add the seasoned salt, basil and cayenne. Cook until heated through, stirring occasionally (do not boil). Stir in the crab. Garnish each serving with bacon and chives.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 290 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 1195mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 16g protein.
Jan 25, 2019
I made this for 7 people, 5 adults and 2 kids, so I doubled the recipe. Honestly, I was a little surprised that nobody choked with how fast they all sucked down their bowls. Both kids spoke up twice at random to tell me how much they loved it, and the adults all agreed they wanted to go at the pot similar to how frat boys go after a keg at parties. Oh yes, this was unanimously declared a MUST make on a regular basis.
Mar 24, 2015
This was very good. I substituted one red pepper instead of the different colors, and I didn't have basil so I added dried dill instead and used Old Bay (adding a dash extra) for the seasoned salt. I also used krab because at this time of year, I can't get local crab. It was delicious--I will definitely make it again.
Jan 16, 2014
This was a hit with my family. The only change I made was replacing the bouillion & water with seafood stack.
Jan 3, 2010
Tastes like "fishy chicken". Needs clam juice or seafood stock instead of chicken bouillon.