Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 4-1/4 hours
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of potato soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 4 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 can (6-1/2 ounces) chopped clams, drained
- 1 can (6 ounces) medium shrimp, drained
- 4 ounces imitation crabmeat, flaked
- 5 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine soups and milk. Stir in the vegetables. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours.
- Stir in clams, shrimp and crab; cover and cook 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Garnish each serving with bacon.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 224 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 1106mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 13g protein.
Mar 28, 2015
Sorry, I was very disappointed in this. It sounded so good. Made it exactly according to the directions, but after 6 hours in the Crock Pot on Low, the vegetables were still not completely done. It was way too thin to be called a Chowder. Edible, but barely.
Dec 12, 2011
I should have read Stacy's comment first. I should add to my review a couple more thoughts: 1) I started the crockpot on High for several hours, then, when we arrived at church, I turned it to Low and cooked for about 3 hours. The vegetables were done just fine. 2) I was also concerned that the chowder might not have much flavor, and was prepared to add salt and pepper at least before serving, but we found it to be very flavorful.
Dec 12, 2011
We really liked this seafood chowder. I left out the imitation crab and, instead of canned shrimp, I used a 6-ounce bag of frozen salad shrimp. I just went ahead and added the clams and shrimp at the beginning with all of the other ingredients, and it worked out fine. Also, we simply sliced the carrots and diced the potatoes about 1/2" to 3/4" inch square. I took this to a potluck and it went over well. It was just thick enough without being too thick.
Aug 23, 2011
Even after 5 1/2 hours, the vegetables were not cooked all the way. The chowder did not have any flavor - very disappointed in this recipe.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.